2020年10月7日水曜日

2. Far from the Madding Crowd

 ' People don't say very nice things about an unmarried man who works for a beautiful young woman. That's the reason that I was going to leave you and the farm.' (p78) 

I have never read such an unexpected twist at the ending, which took me some times to take in what is going on in the story. This is the unusual love story of a man and woman in England. 


The story starts with Gabriel's love for Bathesheba.  When Gabriel meets her first, he falls in love and confesses. However, she rejects strongly because of his poor family. Bathesheba is called the most beautiful farm owner in the town, and some men has desires to court her. Among them, there are another two men who have passion insanely for her. Gabriel gets married to one of them, but the husband is killed by the other man.... The accident disturbs her peace of mind fiercely, and then what happens ??


All of the diplomat the characters use is so interesting that I can remember the scene clearly. Until Gabriel becomes a wife of a rich man, she is said by some men, "If I wait for another six years, would you marry me?," or "There is no reason to refuse my propose." Every time I saw the persistent men around Gabriel, I was rooting for her. I hope you all enjoy a lot of dishonestly tricky strategies as well. 


Hardy, Thomas. Far from the Madding Crowd. (2007). Oxford; Macmillan Publisher Limited. 


0 件のコメント:

コメントを投稿