2020年10月21日水曜日

英語教育講義④ Several factors for learning languages 👀👂👄

Be positive!!

Today we checked how much we have what it takes to learn language first. For quite some time, I've got on with English, but the check result made me a bit depressed. Among the check items, it was surprising that much risk-taking can bring a lot of mistakes. When sorting out a task for the first time, I tend to challenge something new voluntarily. However, when I learn languages, I should cut down the will power...  Moderate is good for everything!


Mysterious critical period and silent period... 

So far I have listened to the story of critical period several times. Yet, I wonder why some children can start speaking perfect English out of the blue even though they don't want to on their own. Considering critical period, I guess the length of silent period depends on their character and tendency like the items we tested. Not all of the children are not extrovert and positive to learning languages, therefore there must be differences among them. Moreover, I suspect their nationality and native languages have effected to the both periods. For instance, language distance between Japanese and Korean is so close that Japanese children who are learning Korean may spend shorter silent period than they are learning English. Mystery is just becoming more intense. 


2 件のコメント:

  1. The length of the silent period can be a very interesting research topic. I don't think it has been clearly defined. Since the individual differences can be found in many areas of child development, this is one of those differences and hard to determine.

    返信削除
  2. It is not a bad thing to have much power when you study English. It is totally depends on what skills you want to improve. If you are trying to improve your communicative skills, you do not have to be so nervous about your mistakes. (Koyo)

    返信削除